Random Thoughts: Amazing book covers

I saw this feature on a blog a few months ago and thought it was clever. I enjoyed looking at the pictures and imagining them as book covers. I couldn't help but wonder what type of book might be created based on the images.

So here is my version of that post/meme. I do wish I knew who started it so I could give proper credit, but I think I stumbled on it by chance. If anyone knows, please leave me a comment so I can give credit to where it is due.

So, right now I am all about the mermaid books. In fact, it's my summer goal to read as many mermaid books as I possibly can. Look at some of these amazing pictures I found on Pinterest. Wouldn't they make fabulous book covers for a mermaid book?

These pictures look so tragic to me. I just see untimely death and then transformation. Sounds like a good plot, right?
 mermaid  Mermaid bride

I think these would make great covers! I can imagine a contemporary type book with a main character that doesn't realize she is part mermaid.

:) mermaid. Underwater Surfer mermaid

Anyone else imagine a Hans Christian Andersen style story with this cover? It is so beautiful.

This is my favorite! Wouldn't this make an amazing book cover? Could you imagine the story?

8 comments:

Kandee said... .

Pretty book covers, I'd already thought these were covers, but they aren't. They are so pretty!

June 18, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Bekka said... .

I love the second to last one: the red-head with the spiny back. I love when mermaids totally don't look human, and can even look scary! This is a great feature :)

June 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Delilah (Del) said... .

My favorite is the one with the dress and the purple flowers! It's so pretty!

June 18, 2012 at 3:38 PM
The Flashlight Reader said... .

@Bekka... The spiny back mermaid picture is actually a true piece of art. It's a print I found on Pinterest. I think it's gorgeous!

@Delilah-- oddly enough, that one is called "Mermaid wedding." I am amazed by the underwater shots. I would love to know how the photographs make those pictures so perfect looking.
June 18, 2012 at 6:46 PM

BURIED IN BOOKS said... .

Oh wow! I think you should do this regularly. I would say I'd do it with you, but I don't have any days that are always free. I'm working towards it!
It is definitely the summer for merpeople! I think I like the redhead the best but that bottom one is shockingly beautiful, too. I can imagine a scuba diver, diving a shipwreck and looking in a porthole and seeing that. What would happen? Would he drown? Use up all his air, would she yank his tank off? Oh the possibilities....

Heather

June 18, 2012 at 9:10 PM
The Flashlight Reader said... .

Exactly, Heather! The ideas are endless. I am so using this idea next year for writing lessons. I can't wait to see what my students come up with!

I am seriously loving the idea of the evil merperson/sea creature. Yanking the scuba tank off... so dark and twisted. It goes well with the summer of mermaids.

And I wish I could remember who does this feature, so I could give proper credit! But I think I will throw some more out there. Wait until you see the fairy pictures!
June 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Devan @ Book Strings said... .

Oh these are great! I'd love to see the first, 3rd, or last one as a new cover for Of Poseidon.

June 18, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Khalimah Duncan's said... .

Hi , where did you find that last photo. I would like to look at more of they're photos and make some inquiries .

November 28, 2012 at 8:37 AM