Friday Follow is a blog hop that was started by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read. Each week a different question is posted by our hosts and we wil answer! This is a great opportunity for bloggers to network and interact.

This week’s question –

Confess your blogger sins! Is there anything as a newbie blogger that you’ve done, that as you gained more experience you were like — oops?

I saw a blog post a year or so ago on another blog that used Pinterest images to speculate possible book covers. I instantly loved the idea and decided to do it with a twist... hence "Cover Appeal" was born. I was all into it for several months. Then I saw a post from this blogger you might know (Parajunkee) about copyrights and such on internet images.
I felt like a major twit for not thinking about that before hand, being that in my profession we have to make sure we have permissions for everything. I put a whoa-ho on Cover Appeal until I can figure out a way to make sure I'm not jacking anyone's stuff unfairly. I'm a little sad about it because the images are gorgeous, but I don't want to be "that person" either.
So that was major mistake numero uno in a nutshell. As a side note though, I think my biggest mistake is not being a risk taker. I'm super shy about making introductions to people I don't know... I don't like being the first one to speak. So obviously that puts a huge damper on my efforts to "reach out" to bloggers, publishers, authors, etc. Maybe one day I will over come that, but being that I am an adult and things haven't changed, it's not likely to happen any time soon.

19 comments:

Christyn Cabral said... .

I'm pretty new to this whole blogging thing (a month and a half in) and one of my biggest fears is copyright infringements! Gah!

New Follower :)
Christyn @ The Book Cafe

March 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Daniela said... .

I can really relate to that - I'm pretty shy too, so it's hard for me to spontaneously approach bloggers or authors and start up a conversation. Even on twitter, where it's way informal! I'm always holding onto the hope that I might be able to get over it sometime haha.

New follower! Here's my FF.

March 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Seirra Poirier said... .

Yikes, that's scary. I used some pictures from sites before I knew better and when I found out I was terrified of copyright infringement. So I stay away from the unknown. As for reaching out I'm not a very outgoing person either and when I first started blogging I didn't know how to engage readers or anything like that. Somehow I just dropped that fear and I now talk to a bunch of different bloggers, and I even request books from publishers. However, I still cringe when I get a rejection but I try not to dwell on it. Reaching out is a huge step and once you overcome it there are a lot of nice benefits :) Best of luck!

Happy Friday!
New GFC Follower. Love the blog design!
My FF HERE.

-Seirra @ Dear, Restless Reader

March 1, 2013 at 1:22 PM
LisaILJ said... .

I too am a little shy about networking. I hope to overcome it. I've met some really awesome bloggers, but at the time I didn't have a blog of my own. I guess making friends in the blogger community is something that happens over time.

My F&FF Feature & Follow Friday (#2)
LisaILJ @ I’ll Tumble for YA

March 1, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Barbara Brown said... .

New GFC follower!
I have 2 blogs you can follow :)

"Literary Quill Promotions"

"BookShelves Of Dreams"

March 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Nyx said... .

I think a good number of us are not very outgoing people, and yeah it's pretty scary reaching out to people I can take days till I finally send an email or something xD Love the blog design btw :)

New follower.

- Nyx @ Unraveling Words

March 1, 2013 at 2:31 PM
E.S. Ivy said... .

Posting images on blogs is so tricky! Spending time trying to find good images that won't infringe on someone's copyright is definitely slowing my blogging now.

Hopefully, it will start to sort itself out and more images will become available to use fairly. I know I found a new band when their music was posted with an aquarium video on Youtube. I think images posted on blogs could work in a similar manner, driving traffic to the source.

March 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Tiffany H said... .

I love your site design! I'm very partial to purple and it's a really cute header, etc you have :)

New follower!
Tiffany @ A_TiffyFit's Reading Corner

March 1, 2013 at 4:31 PM
The Flashlight Reader said... .

I had no idea so many of us were shy! I see so many blogs where the host seems super outgoing and spunky. I always thought that's just them. It never occurred to me that effort might be involved for that persona. :)

I'm rather talkative once I feel comfortable, it's just that initial contact that stresses me out.
March 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Aman said... .

I'm a shy person too, and it makes it hard for me to contact publishers. I get to scared and back out. I need to get over it, but I get what you are saying.
New Follower!

Thanks for stopping by My FF

March 1, 2013 at 6:22 PM
My anxious life said... .

I have noticed most people are talking about the same thing.. all of us using google images and the like. EEK!

March 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Daphne said... .

I know what you mean! I'm more of a shy person as well, and I get nervous when it comes to emailing publishers and authors about books. I literally cringe at the thought. xD Beautiful blog! :)

Thanks for stopping by! Followed back!
Daphne @ Reading Until Dawn

March 1, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Rebecca said... .

I suck at tacking risk. I wish I was fearless when it came to blogging:)

March 1, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Alyssa Susanna said... .

WOAH - that is kind of scary! I know about the whole pictures and stealing images things from others' experiences, so really, the only images I post are the ones sent to me, book covers, or my own. No use in getting sued.

But now you're a fantastic blogger - introverted no longer! Right? YES! :)

New GFC follower!

My FF Post!

March 1, 2013 at 8:27 PM
iamjenai said... .

oh yes copyright. I still have issues about it, I am not perfect, I might forget so I try to link everything just to let people know it's not mine.

thanks for stopping by my blog, new follower!

Happy Friday!

March 1, 2013 at 10:53 PM
thefictionconniption said... .

I know what you mean as far as being naturally shy about putting yourself out there - it definitely gets intimidating at first, but everyone here is so welcoming that it definitely gets easier.

I adore your blog, so glad I found it! Your design is so cute... I love anything purple. New follower!

The Fiction Conniption's FF

March 1, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Ransom Reads said... .

I am incredibly shy too, so I understand you there. It's been one of my biggest problems.

I think as longs as you get permission from the photo person/ source & link back to it, it shouldn't be too bad to use the photos. They are on a public photo site. But I'm no expert so I could be completely wrong

March 2, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Go Flash Go - Read, Rinse, Repeat said... .

It's funny - I have no problem expressing myself here (I guess anonymity helps, but sometimes in crowds, I get uncomfortable. I don't think there' anything wrong with being shy. Not everybody needs to be the life of the party. (And how annoying would all of those people be?) :)

But it SOUNDS like you might want to change. Are you on Twitter? I was originally nervous about reaching out to authors, but I did it, and now it' something I'm comfortable with. Maybe try something small like that.
BTW - have you heard of the book, Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking? Great book.

Stephanie (Go Flash Go) @ Read, Rinse, Repeat
Here's My FF

March 2, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Sue Bricknell said... .

Hi, from a new GFC follower.

Good answer! :)